The MINOR NOTES Archive: The Estrogenius Radio blog

Friday, November 04, 2005

Bjork does something weird: That's not news, that's weather!

Since it seems to be flying well under the radar, I thought I would mention that Bjork has a new album out. More specifically, it's the soundtrack album for Drawing Restraint 9, a new film by experimental filmmaker Matthew Barney. Barney is perhaps best know for his multi-part epic The Cremaster Cycle. I have not actually seen any of Barney's work, but from the sound of it, he makes Peter Greenaway look accessible. And this is Bjork's newest partner.

Yes, I know: Like her usual stuff wasn't weird enough?! Well, it never was to me, anyway.


Drawing Restraint 9 soundtrack album cover.

There is some good background information about the film Drawing Restraint 9 at Bjork's website; suffice it to say that it involves Japanese musical and mystical tradition, combined with Barney's apparently typical theme of human physical transformation.

As for the album...let's just say it's not for everyone. In fact, it's even less for everyone than Medulla (Bjork's previous, a capella album) was. I'm certain that seeing the film would add much to the experience of listening to the soundtrack. Unlike Selmasongs -- Bjork's soundtrack for the film Dancer in the Dark, in which her sublime accomplishments as a composer and actress were utterly squandered by the talentless, misogynistic hack director Lars Trier -- you can't follow the story of Drawing Restraint 9 by listening to the album. On the other hand, it is somewhat doubtful that you would be able to follow the story by watching the film, either; so it's a wash.

Even so, I appreciate how ambitious this work is. Yes, there is quite a bit of weirdness going on. But there are also two tracks with brass arrangements that have a familiar feel to them. These tracks are examples of powerful, smart scoring, and I say, watch out Phillip Glass -- Bjork is gunning for you.

Now that we've seen so much of her experimental side, I'd love to see Bjork change direction yet again, and...score an animated movie. Yes, I'm serious. Imagine the freedom that animation could give her, not just as a composer, but also as a vocalist and actress. She could easily create a work that is accessible, yet still thought-provoking. I know that if I had a major animation studio, I'd be knocking on her door right now! How 'bout it, global film industry?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home