The MINOR NOTES Archive: The Estrogenius Radio blog

Thursday, February 23, 2006

O Blogger! Wherefore dost thou suck?

People often ask me why I don't post in this blog more often. Well, that's not entirely true; in fact, people never ask me that, because nobody really reads this blog. But if they were to ask, here is what my answer would be:

Because, of all the times I have visited Blogger or Blogspot.com with the intention of posting, the site was down for about half of those times. That's 50% downtime, which is considered "bad" in the world of information technology. Mind you, that's not 50% of my overall visits to Blogger, just 50% of the times where I intended to post. And since I post at fairly random times, that means that Blogger is, technically, really fucked-up.

(I've made this joke before, but as everybody knows, redundancy actually makes sarcasm funnier, so here goes) I suppose that I shouldn't be too upset, because Blogger is just a tiny startup that has been forced to contend with the sudden and unforseeable explosion in popularity of blogging, and so therefore technical SNAFU's are to be expected.

Oh, wait -- actually, Blogger is part of a company that is worth about $100 Billion, and whose raison d'etre is the investment of huge sums of cash into bleeding-edge technologies, in order to make everyone's computing experience simple, efficient and fun. And they're doing great at it! Basically, every consumer-level application that Google has ever released just plain works. Even their oft-ridiculed, eternally Beta services.

*Sigh* -- except for Blogger.

Oh, and blogging has been extremely popular for, what, two years now? Yeah, hey Blogger? You may just want to get some new equipment to handle the sudden load.

Look, I realize that information technology on such a scale can never be problem-free. I don't expect Blogger to have zero downtime, I really don't. However, I do think I'm right in saying that 50% downtime is a bit much. It could just be my bad timing, but then again, Blogger could just suck that badly. I guess I only expect more because the last time I couldn't access Google.com or Gmail was, let me see... oh yeah, NEVER.

Now that I've finished my rant, it'd be really funny if it didn't post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home