The MINOR NOTES Archive: The Estrogenius Radio blog

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Alyson Greenfield: Support Your Local Prodigy

When it comes to describing levels of talent, there are a few different descriptors that are commonly used: "Talented"; "Multi-talented"; and a third category, which Alyson Greenfield falls into, called "OK, now you're just showing off."

True, that last one is mainly used by insecure hacks like myself, but as I've pointed out before, one of the most reliable measurements of talent that I have is how lame I feel in comparison to the artist in question.

Of course, it's not Ms Greenfield's fault that I'm insecure, so let me apply a much more positive descriptor: "Renaissance Woman". I'm not exaggerating here -- just read her bio. She started playing piano at age 11, and has been a fountain of creativity ever since. She's in the process of composing music and lyrics for an upcoming musical, and she also co-wrote the screenplay to a short film that was based on a story by, yes, Alyson Greenfield.

Most recently, however, she's been in the studio recording her first full-length album, while also touring the East coast, including some of NYC's most notable Indie venues. But you don't have to wait for the album: Ms Greenfield's EP, Six Songs, is out now.

An Ohio native (currently attending grad school in Alabama), Alyson Greenfield's core musical genre could best be described (by me, at least) as Americana; but there are two cool piano ballads on the EP ("My Honey" and "Good Looks"), which I was naturally thrilled to find. Ms Greenfield is not averse to a little Rock & Roll as well, and I wouldn't mind seeing her explore more of that territory.

That is, when she's not pursuing a MFA in Creative Writing. In fact, she already looks a little like Sofia Coppola, and based on her creative talent, it's only a matter of time before Ms Greenfield is directing too.

Like all intelligent people, Alyson Greenfield is an enthusiastic supporter of internet radio, and of the mission of ESTROGENIUS; so I told her that I would return the favor by sending some traffic her way (in case you missed the link above, that's www.alysongreenfield.com). Help me accomplish this one thing, and maybe I'll feel a little less inferior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home